One of the most irritating things while working on the incredible software Quickbooks is getting technical problems such as Quickbooks error 6189. Numerous companies and accounting professionals use Quickbooks to handle their financial operations efficiently.
It handles complex tasks by consuming less time and with accuracy. The same tasks if done by humans could consume a lot of time and many errors can occur. But the powerful features of Quickbooks can’t hide its drawbacks.
There are instances when users are suddenly stuck between their work due to some glitches or errors in Quickbooks. The output devices stop responding, Quickbooks start freezing, and you see numerous pop-ups messages on the display. All these are indications that the software is infected with an error blocking your work in between.
Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816 is one such error that happens when users try to access their respective company files. They are unable to open it and face other system issues as well. If you delay fixing this error then it will generate more technical errors causing you additional problems.
What causes this nuisance error and how can you troubleshoot it quickly? Let’s learn further.
An Overview of The Error
Quickbooks error -6189,0 is widely known as a run-time error. It stops users from accessing the QB company files. Users usually witness this issue while using the software in multi-user mode. Once you get this error in the system, you will start receiving numerous pop-up messages covering your entire screen. This typical error indicates that there is a failed connection between the QB and the accounting data.
No doubt, it is not your fault that your system caught this error, but the matter is still in your hands. You can rectify the error by going through this post carefully and apply the troubleshooting steps correctly. First thing first, let’s learn about the provoking factors responsible for this issue.
Factors Provoking Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816
Before learning the troubleshooting process, you should understand the factors that provoked this error. Also, once you learn the reasons, you can easily prevent it from coming back. Let’s get started.
- Firstly, you see this issue the moment you are trying to access the QB company file.
- The same file that you are trying to access is already opened at another host system.
- You have downloaded a corrupt version of the QB software.
- There are some broken or damaged QBs components.
- The system is full of invalid QBs software, temporary or junk files.
- Null entries have been put up in the Windows registry.
- Improper installation of the QuickBooks Software.
- Virus and malware attack.
- Insufficient permission is needed to open the QB file.
- Contradictions in Exchange log record and Quickbooks organization document.
- Moreover, some restrictions in the functioning of the software occurred by anti-virus software.
- Pirated windows or outdated operating systems also provoke Quickbooks error -6189,-816.
- Missing system drivers.
- Problems in the QB hosting process.
- Damaged.ND (network data file).
Signs to Spot Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816
This is the major part because most of the users get confused here only. Sometimes when this error occurs, users don’t get it and ignore the fixation process. This gives a way to more uninvited errors that can damage your system and the QB files as well. The below listed are signs to identify this nuisance error so that you could fix it the moment you get it.
- You fail to access the company file again and again.
- The screen covers your tabs with numerous error code messages associated with “Quickbooks error 6189 816″ and other 6XXX series errors.
- Windows freeze repeatedly and you have to restart the system many times.
- Output devices respond sluggishly.
- Your system shows poor network connection.
- The system responds poorly.
If you are witnessing these signs then be ready to read the entire article. The post involves the most effective troubleshooting steps to permanently solve this issue.
Repairing Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816: Permanent Methods
You will find more than enough solutions to repair Quickbooks error 6189 and 816. But keep in mind to follow each solution carefully until you find the one that fixes the issue. Let’s start.
Solution 1: Restart the System along with the Quickbooks Server
This first method is a straightforward solution to this error. Not only this, you can fix many QB errors instantly by restarting your system. The steps are:
- Firstly, “Restart” the respective computer server.
- Thereafter, reboot your QB workstation.
- Moving on, tap on QB to access it on the host server.
- Once done with restarting, access the QB on each server.
Note: Knowing the QB company file location is crucial. If you have QB enterprise hosting and no server system, then contact an IT professional who can assist you with the steps.
Solution 2: Running QB Tool Hub
Quickbooks Tool Hub is considered as a defense against hundreds of QB errors. Also, it involves various tools for each error making it easy for users to save more time. Moreover, it auto-identifies and self-fixes the issue with just one tap. The steps to utilize the tool hub are:
- Close all Quickbooks applications.
- Then, open the Intuit site.
- Find Quickbooks Tool Hub file.
- Thereafter download it.
- Now, save it.
- Click twice on the downloaded file then access it.
- Hit the tab on “Install”.
- Once you are done with installing the tool, tap twice to open it.
- Moving on, pick the file that needs fixation. You can browse it via browser if you are facing any kind of difficulty finding it.
- Further, hit “Quick Fix My Program”, it will self-scan and then repair the error-related file. This process will get concluded in some minutes.
- At last, just open your company files once you resolve Quickbooks error 6189 and 816.
Solution 3: Quickbooks Database Server Manager
- Firstly, open “Tools Hub” (Downloading process mentioned in solution number 2).
- Choose the tab named “Network Issues.”
- Thereafter, hit “Quickbooks Database Server Manager”.
- Now the screen related to Quickbooks Database Server Manager will appear. Here, find your company file that needs repairing and choose it. You can browse it via browser if you are facing any kind of difficulty finding it
- Now, tap on “Start Scan.”
- After that, QB Database Server Manager will self-repair the issues and permissions of the firewall.
- After scanning, tap on “Close”.
- Now, navigate to the server system and access QB desktop.
- Finally, verify that Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 is not bothering you.
Solution 4: Quickbooks Refresher Tool
Intuit offers this powerful tool on its website only. It helps users repair some Qb errors along with Quickbooks error 6189 and 816. Explore the following steps to utilize this incredible tool:
- Firstly, open the Intuit site. Download the tool.
- Now install the tool named- QB Refresher tool.
- Save it to any location.
- Thereafter close all Quickbooks tabs on the window.
- Now, find the Refresher Tool and run it.
- Make sure to run this tool for around 40 seconds.
- Finally, start working on Quickbooks again.
This method will surely repair the Quickbooks error 6189 and 816. However, if it still bothers you, we suggest you follow solution number 5.
Solution 5: Transferring the QB Company Files via Local Hard Drive
This efficient trick is helpful in eradicating the nagging error. However, you need to consider some points before executing this step:
- This solution will work only if the other solutions failed to help you.
- Follow this trick if the QB file is stored on some removable drive.
- It is convenient to transfer the QB company file to another system.
- You can transfer the data of QB on the system’s hard drive. However, few online files hosting servers can show issues in transferring files.
- Avoid using the removable drivers to keep transferable data because these do not allow QB to run properly on multi-user mode.
- Never encrypt the QB files on the system’s hard drive because it can block the connection of a multi-user network.
- Firstly, install QB Desktop.
- Make a company file backup.
- Rename your file so that you could access it easily. It will prevent you from choosing the wrong file.
- Save the file. (Preferable on the desktop to avoid any rush.)
- Use “Flash drive/external drive” to remove the company files on a fresh system.
- After that, you can restore the backup easily.
- Thereafter, update the payroll tax table once you transfer the files.
Solution 6: Renaming the.TLG and (.ND) Files (Transaction Log File and Network Data File)
The transaction and network data file allow you to work efficiently in multi-user mode. If any changes to these files get broken, corrupt, or damaged, you will see QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816.
You can utilize QBDSM to repair the error. However, if it is still there then renaming the.ND and.TLG files will be helpful. The steps are:
- Navigate to the folder that has your files. Click twice on it.
- Identify the files having .ND and .TLG extensions.
- Thereafter, right-tap on every file and then choose the option “Rename”,
- While renaming, include “OLD” at the file name’s end.
- At last, open Quickbooks accounting software, then attempt to sign in to the file containing the financial data.
Solution 7: QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor repairs numerous errors that happen in the software. The tool was designed by Intuit to aid users to tackle Qb common issues such as Quickbooks errors 6189 and 816. The steps to make use of this repairing tool are:
- Firstly open the tool hub.
- Now, tap twice on “Company File Issues”.
- Inside it, choose the specific file containing the error.
- Choose the company file containing the error.
- Tap on the option named “Run Quickbooks file doctor.”
- After that, an auto-scan will be initiated which will diagnose and self-repair the issue.
- At last, reopen the file and verify if the error is not there.
Solution 8: Manual Repairing of Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816
Well, if the seven solutions mentioned above could not satisfy you then you can try the manual process of repairing this error. Let’s find out how.
- Firstly, find the (.TLG) file followed by renaming it.
- Thereafter, check the permission of the user given to QBDataServiceUserXX for the accounting software.
- Verify that the files aren’t encrypted.
- Now, create a copy (Sample) of the file and then paste it into any folder you desire.
- The final step is to confirm that you can open the QB file. In case you can’t then come back again to the actual folder.
It is obvious that it is not your fault that your system caught Quickbooks error 6189 and 816, but you can rectify the error by going through this post carefully and applying the troubleshooting steps correctly.
This informative post enlightens users about the responsible factors behind this error and the easiest tricks to tackle it. We hope that at least a few out of eight solutions offered you a helping hand in rectifying the error.
In case you wish for more guidance, then the professional assistance is one call away. Dial Quickbooks Customer Support toll-free number 24×7 and get your doubts resolved. Also, feel free to share any tips, thoughts, or suggestions below to help readers.